Ticket #5830 (closed Bug: fixed)
Scayt: the browser hangs when large(?) documents (50KB+) are loaded
|Reported by:||wwalc||Owned by:||garry.yao|
|Component:||UI : Spell Checker||Version:||3.4.2|
|Keywords:||Review?||Cc:||SpellChecker.net, mrfr0g, mcamden@…|
Imho this might be a serious issue as the editor should be working fine out of the box without having to dig into the documentation for specific settings that might speed up the editor performance or to simply make it working.
The problem: when having a larger document, scayt is causing the "script to run slow". This looks pretty nasty, especially if the document is not really that large (for example: 50KB), also many users will have no idea whether to stop the script execution and will simply consider the editor as broken.
I have attached two sample documents that can be used to reproduce this issue:
- English document (380KB+)
- Polish document (50KB)
I guess that Scayt does not recognize that the text is in different language than English and is finding too many errors in Polish document, that's why it hangs even when editing small documents.
We should either:
- disable Scayt on startup
- fix it to perhaps find just first 20/50(?) errors and then give up and display a gentle error message or a warning icon somewhere that there are more than 50 errors found, at least when it starts automatically. When user clicks on the button and enables Scayt manually, we might display an information to be patient and that it may take a while if the document is large.
- Keywords HasPatch, Review? added
- Version changed from 3.3 to 3.4.1 (SVN - trunk)
- Status changed from confirmed to review
- Owner set to garry.yao
- Keywords HasPatch added; HasPatch, Review? removed
comment:10 Changed 4 years ago by SpellChecker.net
- Keywords HasPatch, Review? added; HasPatch removed
- Version changed from 3.4.1 to 3.4.2